Monday 17 October 2011

Waiting...and a bit more about myself

Still in Punta Arenas waiting for the flight, have been fitting coolant preheaters to new 4-stroke skiddos and Commander buggy, others are inspecting/repairing tents etc, we have a bit more staff medical and safety training this afternoon. Otherwise, not a lot to report.


Just while I have time and for those who are interested and don't know already I'll give a little bit more info about myself. When I'm not in the Southern hemisphere playing in the snow I can be found living near Warminster in the UK  with my girlfriend Jacinta who is an Artist/Designer and runs her own Furniture and Homeware business,

see Whinberry & Antler
My day to day work is repairing and restoring classic and thouroughbred cars (predominantly Bristols and Bristol engined cars) 

with a company called Spencer Lane-Jones in Warminster. I have been working for them since May 2011 and they have been very kind in allowing me to take the time off to undertake this trip, and in the short time I have been there I have felt very at home whilst learning a huge range of new skills from a great team of staff who work to the very highest standards. Also a big thank you to them for allowing me to use workshop facilities to fabricate a Screen printing table in the weeks before my departure. You should soon be able to see the table in action on Jacinta's Blog. Before starting work at SLJ we had been living in Bristol for 6 months during which time I had been working part time for a small repair/restoration business in Bath, see Classic Cars of Bath


Looking back even further, I was born and raised in Shropshire, UK. I attended Pontesbury Primary, Meole brace Secondary school and Shrewsbury Sixth Form College. After a 'Gap year', I then did a year and a half of a Civil Engineering degree at Cardiff University before deciding I actually wanted to be a mechanic, so moved back to Shropshire to start an Apprenticeship with Jack Evans & Sons at the Plough Garage in Pontesbury whilst attending Shrewsbury College one day a week. I cannot speak highly enough of the early days of my mechanical career and the training and support I recieved from the Evans brothers and other staff at the Plough garage. The grounding they gave me has given me the opportuinity to really push my career forward in exciting directions, allowing me to follow my passion for classic cars and giving me the skills necessary to allow me to follow in my Father's and Grandfather's footsteps by travelling to the Antarctic to work for ALE.

No comments:

Post a Comment